VoLTE: What is it and how does it work?
In the world of voice communications there have also been significant improvements. Maybe you’ve heard something about VoLTE, a technology that offers better connectivity and audio quality.
VoLTE is the way smartphones transmit voice calls and it offers new advantages, so there are good reasons to know more about how it works. Here we will explain what it is, and how it works.
What is VoLTE?
VoLTE is short for “Voice over LTE”, which simply alludes to voice calls over an LTE network, usually known as 4G. Until now many operators used 2G or 3G connections for voice communications.
In the past, 4G telephone connections were limited to Internet browsing only and GSM and UMTS networks were used for telephone calls because the phones could not use voice and data simultaneously.
Currently most smartphones have the right technology to enjoy a 4G network in voice communications, and even some mobile operators offer the service called HD Voice, a marketing strategy to highlight their qualities.
How does VoLTE work?
To use VoLTE it is necessary to have a smartphone with connection to LTE networks. Major U.S. network operators, such as AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, among others, support VoLTE service. Likewise, in Spain companies like Orange, Vodafone, among others, provide support for these calls.
VoLTE offers the possibility of using a higher bandwidth when making a call, offering better quality audio, and WI-Fi calls use similar technology from the user’s perspective.
What are the advantages of VoLTE calling?
Among the various advantages of using an LTE/4G network for voice calls are:
- Innovations in voice services: more speed and more data. Delivers quality telecommunications services for consumers, businesses, enterprises and industries, with cloud-based solutions.
- High-quality voice: VoLTE calls quality is superior to traditional ones, as they operate in a higher frequency range, which translates into a clearer conversation.
- Faster connections: VoLTE can connect calls up to twice as fast as 2G or 3G networks.
- Battery saving: VoLTE requirements have lower power consumption.
- Wi-Fi integration: You can communicate with a person not only through the 4G network, but also through a Wi-Fi connection.
- Rich connections: by allowing video call functions, location, images, etc.
A drawback of this service is that currently not all networks have this type of connection. However, mobile operators cannot ignore the benefits of this technology and even more so with the arrival of 5G connections.
At JSC Ingenium, provider of services and solutions for MNOs y MVNOs, we have the flexibility, innovation and vision to enable communication service providers to transform their mobile network to support the rapid introduction of all IMS-based IP converging voice and messaging services. The JSC solution is the optimal choice for service providers who want to offer VoLTE in a more cost-effective and future-oriented way.